Pasta and Broccoli Rabe is an easy and quick meal you can whip up in under 15 minutes. Its said Americans do not eat enough leafy greens, so here is where I go to get mine! This healthy pasta dish has a light and heavenly flavor topped with a bit of grated cheese. Its simple and simply good, the quintessence of Italian cooking.
Today, my children and their Nonno Giovanni are in the garden preparing the soil for the tomatoes and some other veggies we plant each year. We had a grassy lane on the side of our house when we moved in. My dad kept saying "you cant eat grass", so we pulled up the grass and made a garden.
You can always pick a true Italian house out. Most of the trees bear fruit and where ever theres a square foot of space, there are veggies growing. My father in law has grape vines, fig trees and a vegetable garden right in front of the house! It's hysterical.
Nonno Giovanni and Silvana
- 1 lb mezzi rigatoni, cooked in (3 tbsp of salt) salted water until just al dente
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed and cut into thirds
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed with the heel of your hand
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup pasta water reserved just before draining the pasta
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 larger rectangle. Whatever adds up to enough for 16 ozs liquid
- Pepper to taste, fresh ground of course or crushed red pepper flakes if you like a bit of heat
- Grated cheese, optional, to top
Servings: Serves 6